Hollandcraft? What's going on?!

Discussion in 'News' started by MichelDeStar, 21 January 2015.

1. MichelDeStar

MichelDeStar Founder Staff Member Founder Owner

Ratings:
    +437 / 19
    Well, as you might already know, the servers aren't running smoothly at the moment. Massive lags/tps drops and even more crashes. In this topic I will let you know how this all happened, and after that how we want to tackle this problem.

1. Update
    Before the current system was online. We had 2 servers, 2 massive servers with 128GB of ram combined. In Juli 2014 we decided to upgrade this to a 5 x 32 GB ram server and creating a total of 160GB ram. At this point, ovhs sister company, So you Start (SYS) was just a new company. I thought, just like a lot of other people that it would be a massive improvement to get the new servers. But the SYS servers weren't ready yet, so I had to wait.

August 2014, the servers were finally delivered, so I installed them as it should be and everything worked. Before this upgrade, everything was lagging so we decided to do a reset. But, in August there was school vacation I went on a holiday within a few days. I had to recreate the whole Hollandcraft network within a few days. This was the big Hollandcraft V3.0 update. But it turned out to be an enormous flaw.

After this upgrade we haven't thought about how to handle the data, we couldn't handle it the old way anymore, because we installed Buycraft to use it as our Store. Before this we had a custom made Dutch version but it wasn't really that good. We experienced problems with ranks. And around this point, the Arcade ranks were born, or as we called them at that time, Lobby Ranks, HG Ranks and Skywars Ranks, beside the 'Regular' Ranks.

After using this new rank system we had to use a new system called 'Mysql Replication', this syncs all the data across all the servers, like Permissions and Currencies. But this system doesn’t work the way it should. The only way I can update the whole PermissionsEx system is from the Alpha server (Proxy, Lobbies, Arcade). And at this point I had to recreate the currency system. This should be installed on the Alpha server but that would really decrease the performance of the Skyblock server.

So, the next problem was born, how to manage the old currency across all the other Regular servers.
    It turned out it wasn't possible at this time. I couldn't find a solution to fix this problem so I created separated currencies on each server.

At this point, many people were complaining about the fact that there were no global ranks anymore, the currencies and the currencies split up. Well actually the old currency is still online in the Skyblock server, and the other regular servers got a new fresh currency.

2. Trying to fix everything.
    So, we are now around November, people were still complaining and the system wasn't working that well. We had to do something, we established a builder team, and told them to create a new sort of Hub besides the lobby. This is when the Arcade servers were born.

Arcade ranks are now synced across the system once another server told me how to do it. After this point, people were a bit happier than it they were at first. And the system was performing way better than before.

If you want to know more about the Arcade server, you can see it over here: https://hollandcraft.com/threads/arcade-new-lobby-and-many-more-updates.41/

3. Waaaait a minute!
    It says that KitPvP and Prison were developed and should be online right now.
    Yes, that's right. They should be online.

Prison is a gamemode were I had trouble with the system. I had to find a way to deal with the ranks, and sync them with the Arcade ranks. So people that had the Arcade rank automatically got their rank in Prison.
    But then there is another problem, I have to replicate the Alpha servers Permissions database to the Prison server. As already stated before, I can only change things about a rank, or rank players on the Alpha servers, otherwise the whole system will break down. That's why Prison isn't online yet. I have to find a solution that will solve this problem.

KitPvP is a gamemode we all love, but the only trouble is to balance out the kits and to avoid OP kits for donators. People who haven't donated still need to be able to win a fight from the player who did donate. That's the whole point of KitPvP, a nice balanced out gameplay. But we haven’t found a good balance yet and add good things to it.

4. Fix it, please!
    At this moment we are carefully thinking about a new solid network, we have to create a good connection across the globe. The problem is that people from Brazil currently have a ping of about 260 ms, and that is way too much to be able to play without lag or other problems.

We are planning to get some good servers from OVH, and from here on create a network with about 292GB of ram with 6 CPU's. We might add a US hub if there is more demand for it, but the ping in the US is not perfect, but it will suffice for now.

So, what could you expect from me, and from our staff?
    You can expect from me that I will redo the Network in the coming months and release an update once it's done. There are currently 4 Lobbies, 3 Arcade servers, and a proxy server that consumes most of the RAM. This is all installed on one single dedicated server with 32GB ram. And currently the Lobbies have 4GB RAM available and the Arcade server has 2GB of RAM. This adds up to 16GB for only the lobbies and another 6GB of ram for only the arcades. The proxy alone can only consume another 10GB of Ram.

After this update there are, 5 Lobbies, 5 Arcades and a proxy. This will be installed on the new network with a 128GB RAM dedicated server, and there should be 8GB left for all the lobbies and arcade servers that add up to a total of 80GB of ram. In this situation the proxy can consume 48GB of RAM and that should be more than enough.

With this upgrade we want to create a more professional look. The Survival- and HungerGames servers are now running on Multicraft, in the coming months they will be running on a sync system without the use of Multicraft. A server should go online once another is ingame stuff like that. Hollandcraft will become a better server with a more enjoyable environment for players and a lot less lag.

I hope I have informed you as much as you would have wanted to.
    Sorry for the bad network at the moment, and we will try to fix it.

Best regards,
    Michel

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Drollings

Drollings Member Registered

Ratings:
    +158 / 11
    *gets my reading glasses*

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. appeltje

appeltje New Member Registered

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Well nice informating topic noting to chance about.

4. Mineshadow12345 [Kirito]

Mineshadow12345 [Kirito] Active Member Registered

Ratings:
    +391 / 31
    So much hard work >_< hope you can get this all done. Good luck

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. superyari95

superyari95 New Member Registered

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    nice topic michel! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. martijnpu

martijnpu Hollandcraft Veteran Veteran Registered

Ratings:
    +39 / 1
    Maybe you can do something that the Brazil can't join. We don't understand there language en they don't understand our language. So mayby a kick for people who have a high ping?

• Creative Creative x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. MichelDeStar

Ratings:
    +437 / 19
    How about no?
    [​IMG]
    This is the location from the users, as you can see the most users are from Brazil, so I don't think that would be a good solution.

8. Drollings

Drollings Member Registered

Ratings:
    +158 / 11
    If only brazillian people could talk to us in english... :(

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. MichelDeStar

Ratings:
    +437 / 19
    That should be awesome :D

• Like Like x 1
  10. keeemo

keeemo Member Registered

Ratings:
    +12 / 7
    Keep up the great job you are doing but the kitpvp part isn't convincing, you can look at other servers and see the kits there and maybe get an idea about what to do. Also think of having a shop and enchanting table at the kitpvp "safe" area for all players to craft/buy armour and tools and enchant them, that should be fair enough. ( You get the money bye killing people ).

11. keeemo

keeemo Member Registered

Ratings:
    +12 / 7
    Oh and please fix the loading bar in this site because on the ipad it just gets stuck and doesn't load then if i press the send button again and refresh the page it gets sent twice :/
    Happened to me a lot of times.

12. TheSneakyCow

TheSneakyCow Hollandcraft Veteran Veteran Registered

Ratings:
    +187 / 0
    Information! :D

13. R_strike

R_strike New Member Registered

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    nice michel maybe a zombie survival server that zombies can break dirt?

14. jop03nl

jop03nl Member Registered

Ratings:
    +9 / 3
    PRISOOOOOOOOON IS LOVE PRISON IS LIFE

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. Bobobaal

Bobobaal Hollandcraft Veteran Veteran Registered

Ratings:
    +270 / 12
    Loooool

16. jop03nl

jop03nl Member Registered

Ratings:
    +9 / 3
    Sorry it had tot come out ^^

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Gladiator_Ferry

Gladiator_Ferry Member Registered

Ratings:
    +40 / 8
    For kit pvp you should just not make donator kits, that would solve everything. xD But then the donators will probably be "We donated for this rank we should get privileges!" so I guess it wouldn't solve anything… .-.
    ~ferihon

18. Bobobaal

Bobobaal Hollandcraft Veteran Veteran Registered

Ratings:
    +270 / 12
    Well we will make donator kits but we won't make them overpowered

19. keeemo

keeemo Member Registered

Ratings:
    +12 / 7
    And non donators should have access to more kits than the default :/

• Like Like x 1