Clarity Cobblestone monster rule

Discussion in 'Ask for help' started by omwro, 19 August 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omwro

omwro New Member Registered

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    Dear staff and faction players,

As you all know factions got just released and in my opinion it was a great success. congratz! Me and my faction just got raided and found a place to create our new base. Because of the bad defense from my old home (hiding inside a mountain) we came to the conclusion to stop hiding but instead give our new base a propper defense. the decided to make huge cobblestone walls that are common in all big faction servers.

Sadly 1 staff member disagreed with this approice with the reason that it is against the rule: #3 of factions rules. It states the following: "Creating a cobblestone monster is not allowed." It also refers to an image (https://i.imgur.com/pMH68dd.png) known to be called as a Cobblestone monster. Today the staff member decided that a cobblestone wall (to buildlimit) which was generated with a 1 time lava source also falls under the category cobblestone monster.

I do however disagree with this statement because a cobblestone monster has no other purpose than just causing lag and grieving the server. On the other hand, a cobble wall is 1 of the most common strategies in factions to defend you base. Even if using lava to generate walls is bannable, which i could understand because of lag reasons(even though him removing the wall caused more lag), why are cobble walls manually placed by hand without water or lava also not allowed? This staffmember agrees that a normal cobble wall manually placed falls under the categorie "cobble giant" which automaticly falls under the same category as "cobblestone monster" which really grinds my gears. And as if that was not oke, he removed the wall from until Y-level 114 (weird number). and told me that this should be a right height for a wall, and that if some staff members disagreed, that i should tell them that this specific staff member told that this was oke. This is because he refused my request to confirm his decision in the internal staff chat and made this choice by his own. It was mostly the inappropriate behaviour that pulled the trigger to make thread about it.

I would like to have an official statement about the next questions:
    1. Is a cobble wall generated by lava (also known as lava casting) allowed?
    2. Does a structure generated by lava casting fall under the category "cobblestone monster"
    3. Is a cobble wall manually placed by hand allowed?
    4. what is the official allowed height limit of a wall?
    5. Should staff be allowed to make a decision based on 'his idea'
    6. Will i get the removed walls back?

Thanks you all for reading this thread and i hope this issue will be resolved soon.

Edit: i can pull the logs and some screenshots of the building, but im guessing that its not neccesary.

Kind regards,

Omer E.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. LuukDMM

LuukDMM Admin Staff Member Admin

Ratings:
    +274 / 19
    Dear Omwro,

Before I have all the necessary information to issue a formal statement, please answer the following question:

- Is or was your cobblestone setup designed to automatically regenerate when broken by pickaxe or explosion? The alternating rings of water and lava certainly gave us that impression.

I should also point out that this was not a lone wolf action and the staff member in question consulted with the entirety of the staff team before acting, so point #5 of your request is nullified.

Cheers,

LuukDMM

3. Bazguithegluro

Bazguithegluro Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Dear Omwro,

First of all, the following statement is entirely untrue.

-"This is because he refused my request to confirm his decision in the internal staff chat and made this choice by his own. It was mostly the inappropriate behaviour that pulled the trigger to make thread about it."

I consulted with the rest of our staff team way before I even brought it up to your attention, so the reason of your threat has been rendered moot.

Lets get into the questions:

1. "Is a cobble wall generated by lava (also known as lava casting) allowed?"
    Yes of-course it's allowed to make a wall with lava, as long as it's not to big or self-regenerating

2. "Does a structure generated by lava casting fall under the category "cobblestone monster""
    No not automatically, cobblestone monsters/giants are absurdly large structures made of cobblestone. this can be achieved by either the lava and water technique or by hand.

3. "Is a cobble wall manually placed by hand allowed?"
    Of-course it is, it's Minecraft everybody has to start somewhere.

4. "what is the official allowed height limit of a wall?"
    As of this particular moment there isn't a official allowed height limit, in my personal opinion the max height for a wall should be around 50 to 70 blocks.

5. "Should staff be allowed to make a decision based on 'his idea'"
    Rendered moot, but for the sake of fun lets answer it:
    Yes staff is allowed to make decisions based on their opinion, if it later turns out to be a wrong/unjustified decision then it will be picked-up by senior staff.

6. "Will i get the removed walls back?"
    In all fairness, probably not.

I hope I was able to shed some light on the situation,

Regards, Bas

4. Diggy_Dex

Diggy_Dex Member Registered

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    lolll dit

5. omwro

omwro New Member Registered

Ratings:
    +15 / 2
    First of all thank you for taking the time to answer this thread.

Im not good with making superiour walls so all I did was 1 ring of lava on Y 255 which will spread to 3 towers of lava and with the help of water, it will cobble the outer 2 towers of lava. so it would only regenerate the cobble of Y255 but nothing below it. the lava could have been removed since it has no purpose for it anymore but I was just at the first stage of creating the defense.

If i am understanding it right, my wall was legit but gave the wrong impression that it was a regeneration cobble wall. Also big cobblestone wall with no lava or water involved are allowed but not preffered in the current game(mode) design, which is understandable if the goal is to not recreate OP factions like back in the days.

For now I'll keep the wall height to the prefered build height from Bas of 70 blocks until an official statement is released. Thread may be closed after a reply. Also nothing personal to anyone, just in case i gave those vibes again. still love you all.

Kind regards,

Omer E.

6. LuukDMM

LuukDMM Admin Staff Member Admin

Ratings:
    +274 / 19
    After consideration and deliberation I can present you a formal statement on behalf of the Senior Staff.

Docket No. Z1918

The Staff v Ascension

It is the ruling of this court that player omwro (hereafter denoted as "defendant") has received a treatment not in accordance with Hollandcraft's best practices. After consulting with an expert on the subject matter, the court has reached the following verdict:

1. Is a cobble wall generated by lava (also known as lava casting) allowed?

Yes. Lava casting is allowed.

2. Does a structure generated by lava casting fall under the category "cobblestone monster"

No. A cobblestone monster is defined as a continuously spreading structure based on the principle of lava casting, but with malicious intent e.g. to cause server lag or otherwise negatively impact server performance, or simply to ruin the world terrain.

3. Is a cobble wall manually placed by hand allowed?

Obviously.

4. what is the official allowed height limit of a wall?

The allowed height limit of a structure is equal to the established build height of Minecraft, which amounts to Y=255.

5. Should staff be allowed to make a decision based on 'his idea'

No. However, as stated previously, this was not the case.

6. Will i get the removed walls back?

Yes. It has been restored.

Court adds that, having taken established Factions strategies and tactical behavior into consideration, it has found that a regenerative cobblestone wall, designed to repair itself after damage by mining or explosions, is also within norms and therefore allowed, as long as it does not exceed a reasonable margin of performance impact.

Defendant is hereby acquitted and may continue construction of said structure. This docket may be used as valid jurisprudential precedent in future disputes, but the court reserves the right to rule differently if docket's predefined parameters such as structure type are altered by defendant or other end user, or if multiple structures are simply too much for the server to handle.

With this verdict, court declares case closed. Topic will also be locked, as per defendants wishes.

Any additional questions may be asked via Discord.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.